Football is back!
While results of the NFL preseason don’t mean much, a pattern has developed in the last decade between preseason play and winning the Super Bowl.
For the past 11 years, no Super Bowl champion has finished the preseason with a losing record.
Preseason record of past 11 Super Bowl champions:
2018: Patriots (3-1)
2017: Eagles (2-2)
2016: Patriots (3-1)
2015: Broncos (3-1)
2014: Patriots (2-2)
2013: Seahawks (4-0)
2012: Ravens (2-2)
2011: Giants (2-2)
2010: Packers (2-2)
2009: Saints (3-1)
2008: Steelers (3-1)
The 2007-2008 New York Giants were the last Super Bowl-winning team with a losing preseason record. The Giants had a 1-3 preseason record that year.
The season before, the Indianapolis Colts also won the Super Bowl with a 1-3 preseason record.
Going undefeated in the preseason doesn’t ensure a team's success in the regular season either. Both the 2017 Cleveland Browns and the 2008 Detroit Lions finished 0-16 in the regular season despite having 4-0 preseason records.
In the last 50 years, the 1982 Washington Redskins are the only one team that has won the Super Bowl after going 0-4 in the preseason.
The 1990 Buffalo Bills and 2000 New York Giants went winless in the preseason, went to the Super Bowl and ultimately lost in the big game.
What other people are reading right now:
- 15 apps parents should look out for on their kids' phones
- 2 workers injured when gas ignited at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa
- Florida cops search for man they say asked Walmart clerk for weapon that could kill lots of people
- FWC: Gator attacks and kills dog in Polk County retention pond
- Sobbing 11-year-old girl begs for dad's release after massive ICE raid
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.