BOISE, Idaho — One of most thrilling cycling events of summer returns to downtown Boise for its 33rd year, and this year it will be book-ended by two additional events that will make for a packed weekend of cycling excitement.
The 33rd annual ASWD Twilight Criterium is set for Saturday, July 13. Featuring the top pro men's and women's cycling teams in the nation and the best local and national amateurs, the event "turns the streets of downtown Boise into a high-speed, high-stakes course."
The popular race comes a day after the second-annual Chrono Kristin Armstrong, named after - and hosted by - Boise's own three-time Olympic gold medalist. The 28-kilometer time-trial course is billed as the only professional event of this caliber in the United States for UCI Elite cyclists.
And to cap off the weekend, on Sunday, cycling fans can check out the inaugural Gran Fondo Hincapie, an event in which you can ride along with the pros - on 15-, 50-, or 80-mile courses through the Boise foothills - just a day after watching them race in the Twilight Criterium.
The inaugural ride will feature some serious star power. In addition to Kristin Armstrong, another famous Armstrong will take part as well. Lance Armstrong, the former pro cyclist and seven-time Tour de France winner who was stripped his titles after a doping scandal, will rejoin his former teammate George Hincapie on the 80-mile gran fondo route. While in Boise he also plans to produce a live episode of his podcast “THEMOVE.”
Here is a look at the schedules for each of the events, including Friday night's Twilight Trifecta:
CHRONO KRISTIN ARMSTRONG
- Friday, July 12
- Start/Finish: Old Oregon Trail Road, Glenns Ferry, Idaho
- 9:30 a.m. - UCI Pro Women start
- 12 p.m. - UCI Pro Men start
- MORE: Chrono Kristin Armstrong builds on cyclist's legacy
- Friday, July 12, 4 p.m - 7 p.m.
- JUMP (Jack's Urban Meeting Place), 1000 West Myrtle Street, Boise
The official kick-off for the 2019 Twilight Criterium, this free family event at JUMP in downtown Boise features free French fries in celebration of National French Fry Day, live music, and an opportunity to get autographs from some of the top cyclists in the world.
- 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. - Free French fries and beverages for purchase. Boise Rock School will be playing in the outdoor amphitheater.
- 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. - Autograph Alley: Fans can have special edition Twilight Trifecta autograph posters signed by some of the world's top cyclists.
- 6 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. - Chrono Kristin Armstrong Awards Ceremony
ASWD TWILIGHT CRITERIUM
- Saturday, July 13
- Start/Finish: Capitol Boulevard and Jefferson Street, downtown Boise
Kristin Armstrong Kids' Ride
A great way to kick off Saturday's events, this is a chance for kids ages 3 to 10 to ride along with Boise's three-time Olympic gold medalist Kristin Armstrong. Registration begins at 12 p.m. on the lawn of the Borah Post Office (8th and Bannock). You can pre-register online.
- 12 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. - Kids' Ride registration and autograph session with Kristin Armstrong
- 1:15 p.m. - Expo Area open
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. - Cat 4/5
- 2:30 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. - Masters 40+ (1/2/3) and Men 3
- 3:30 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Women 2/3/4
- 4:15 p.m. - 5:15 p.m. - Men 1/2/3
- 5:30 p.m. - 6 p.m. - Paracycle Race
- 6:10 p.m. - 6:25 p.m. - GreenBike Celebrity Men's Bike Ride Opening Ceremony
- 7 - 8 p.m. - Women's Pro 1/2
- 8:15 p.m. - 9:45 p.m. - Men's Pro/Cat 1
- 10 p.m. - Awards Ceremony
GRAN FONDO HINCAPIE
- Sunday, July 14
- Start/Finish: Cecil D. Andrus Park, Boise
After watching the Twilight Criterium on Saturday, you can take a ride with the pros in the inaugural Gran Fondo Hincapie-Boise. With 80-mile (Gran), 50-mile (Medio), or 15-mile (Piccolo) routes along gravel, mountain and riverside paths, you have plenty of options for your ride. See the course routes here.
Gran and Medio registrants receive an event jersey, as well as entry to the family festival after the ride for you, your family, and friends. Online registration has ended, but you can register at the event. Tickets cost $100 for the 15-mile ride, $200 for the 50-mile ride, and $225 for the 80-mile ride.
After the rides, return to Cecil D. Andrus Park in Boise for a family festival and awards ceremony.
Schedule (all events at Cecil D. Andrus Park):
Saturday, July 13
- 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. - Packet pickup and registration
Sunday, July 14
- 6:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. - Final packet pickup and registration
- 7 a.m. - Start area opens
- 8 a.m. - Ride starts
- 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Family Festival
- 2:30 p.m. - Awards ceremony
Here is a more in-depth look at the schedule of events for the Gran Fondo.