Breaking News
More () »

Ammon Bundy arrested again, dragged from Idaho Capitol building

The arrest is Bundy's second time being removed from the Statehouse in less than 24 hours.

BOISE, Idaho — Anti-government activist Ammon Bundy was arrested and removed from the Idaho Statehouse Wednesday morning, his second such arrest in less than 24 hours. 

Bundy, 41, has been booked into the Ada County Jail on misdemeanor trespassing and resisting and obstructing charges.

Video of the arrest, shared with KTVB by the Health Freedom Idaho executive director Sarah Clendenon, shows Idaho State Police troopers dragging a limp Bundy through the Senate gallery after he refused to stand up or use his legs to walk with the arresting officers. Clendenon said the video was created by freedomman.org, a group she is affiliated with.

"Are you going to stand up, or not?" someone on the video can be heard asking, before officers pull Bundy up the stairs, picking him up at one point after Bundy attempts to lay down at the top of the stairs. 

Credit: Ada County Jail
Ammon Bundy's booking photo from his arrest on August 26, 2020.

RELATED: Ammon Bundy, 2 others arrested after refusing to leave Statehouse room

Idaho State Police say troopers and the director of the Idaho Department of Administration served Bundy with a no trespassing notice at about 11:30 a.m. in the Senate gallery. 

"He was respectfully and repeatedly asked to leave the Idaho State Capitol building," ISP wrote on Twitter. "He refused and was uncooperative. Troopers were forced to physically remove Bundy from the Senate gallery, take him through a stairwell, place him in a wheelchair, and then into a patrol vehicle."

Ammon Bundy just arrested AGAIN. Sitting peacefully in the Senate gallery.

Posted by Sarah Anne on Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Another man, who had also been arrested for trespassing with Bundy the day before, was also served a no trespassing notice, and left the building without incident. That man was not arrested, police say.

RELATED: Handful of bills introduced after chaotic start to first day of Idaho special session

"Idaho State Police will continue to carefully balance people's right to participate in the legislative process while ensuring that the process remains peaceful," ISP wrote.

The no trespassing notice will remain in effect for one year, according to Idaho State Police.

According to director of the Idaho Department of Administration  Keith Reynolds, the notice was issued after consultation with Gov. Brad Little, Speaker of the House Scott Bedke, and Senate Pro Tem Brent Hill.

"Based on the totality of the circumstances, I find that your refusal to comply with the lawful orders of government officials and peace officers threatens to interfere with or impede the conduct of legitimate government business and the primary uses of state facilities; and poses a threat you will likewise refuse to comply with lawful orders given to protect the safety of persons and property," Reynolds wrote in the notice delivered to Bundy. "You also present a threat to disrupt the legitimate business conducted there."

On Tuesday evening, Bundy had been taken into custody and rolled out of the Statehouse in a swivel chair after he refused to leave a vacated hearing room or get out of his seat. Bundy was booked into the Ada County Jail on a misdemeanor trespassing charge that evening, but was later released on bond and returned to the Capitol on Wednesday. 

The day prior - the first day of the special session - Bundy and others clashed with troopers and Capitol security, shattering a glass door in front of the House gallery and shoving officers as they tried to force their way inside. Speaker of the House Scott Bedke permitted the crowd to enter the gallery, but warned them to maintain decorum.

RELATED: Police remove Boise man from special session committee meeting after refusing to move seats

After Bundy's arrest on Tuesday, Bedke condemned the group's actions in a statement.

"The events that have taken place over the past couple of days are unacceptable. It is important to protect the rights of all to participate in the process, not simply those who are the most aggressive and have the loudest voices," Bedke's statement read in part. "Unfortunately, a small group of individuals have disrupted what should be a deliberate and fair process. The end result has been chaotic and unproductive."

A group of Bundy's supporters wrote on Facebook shortly after Bundy was taken into custody that his arrest was "completely inappropriate and wrong in every way," adding that Bundy did not want any of his followers to post bail for him.

"Please understand he needs to expose what's going on and this is the only way to do it!" the post reads.

Bundy was released from the jail after posting bond Wednesday night. His court date will be set in the next two weeks, according to the sheriff's office.

Watch more Idaho politics:

See all of our latest political coverage in our YouTube playlist:

Before You Leave, Check This Out