x
Breaking News
More () »

Bathroom fire causes evacuation at Hillside Jr. High

The fire, which started during the school's exam week, was determined to be of "suspicious" origin.

BOISE -- Students were evacuated after a small fire broke out in the girls' bathroom at Hillside Junior High Friday morning.

Boise School District spokesman Dan Hollar said a paper towel dispenser caught fire at about 9:24 a.m., spurring the evacuation and a call to the fire department.

The fire was quickly extinguished, but smoke is still lingering in the building, officials say. Students and staff were evacuated to the cafeteria and gym area.

Hollar said the fire, which started during the school's exam week, was determined to be of "suspicious" origin. The school will review security camera footage in relation to the incident.

Damage to the bathroom was minimal. Class will resume as soon as the smoke clears.

Hillside Junior High was already scheduled for a half-day due to exams. Hollar said students will be released at noon as planned.

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out