Federal authorities are confirming that a cyanide trap intended to kill coyotes in eastern Idaho instead killed a dog in an incident the local sheriff also says injured a 14-year-old boy.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture in a statement Friday confirms that workers placed the device that activated Thursday and resulted in the death of a 3-year-old Lab named Casey.
Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen says the boy was taken to a hospital to be tested for cyanide poisoning but was not seriously injured and was released.
The federal agency says it has removed from the area other cyanide devices called M-44s that are spring-activated and shoot poison into an animal's mouth.
Capt. Dan Argyle said the device that activated was about 500 yards from the boy's home near Pocatello.