Thank you so much for volunteering to help out at 7Cares Idaho Shares. This event will benefit Idaho Foodbank, Boise Rescue Mission Ministries, Salvation Army of Ada County, Nampa, Caldwell, Twin Falls, and The Jubilee House.
Below is a list of important things you should know:
Supplies: a packet of supplies has been prepared for you (inside a five-gallon water jug).
Albertsons: please set up your location outside the store near the main entrance (if weather permits) or inside the store in a highly visible location. The store manager can assist you in determining the best location.
Fred Meyer: please set up outside the store in the designated area of the parking lot (you should see a canopy and food collection boxes).
Each store manager has been contacted ahead of time and should have some items available for you. If the items are not available, please find the Store Manager and kindly ask for the items below:
- Table and two chairs
- Preferred location setup
- Location in the freezer where donated meat products/perishables can be stored if needed. Use a regular shopping cart for items stored in the freezer. Please attach a 7Cares Idaho Shares sign to the carts you put in the freezer so they can easily be identified when the food is ready for pickup.
- Please place a couple of shopping carts near your setup area and place a 7Cares Idaho Shares poster on each cart (Albertsons locations)
Put your 5-gallon water jug on your table. Use it to collect coins, cash and checks. (At the end of the day, please leave the jug and supplies with the donated food)
- Please make sure two adults are always at your table to guard the cash donations. DO NOT GIVE THE MONEY TO ANYONE WHO APPROACHES YOU AND TELLS YOU THEY ARE THERE TO PICK UP THE MONEY. THE ONLY PERSON AUTHORIZED TO TAKE THE MONEY IS THE STORE DIRECTOR OR HIS/HER REPRESENTATIVE AND THIS WILL TAKE PLACE ONLY INSIDE THE STORE AT THE COURTESY COUNTER.
- EXCEPTION: If someone approaches you with a weapon and demands the money, give it to them.
- At the end of the day, please place the collected coins and bills into the plastic money bags provided (you DO NOT need to count the money ). If there is a large amount of coin, please put the coin in the larger, heavier-weight bag. After the bag(s) are sealed, fill out Loomis slip (see sample form in packet) and take the bags/slip to the customer service counter and ask for the Store Director (name should be on your water jug). When the Store Director arrives, please let him/her know that this is the 7Cares Idaho Shares money to be placed in the safe. (Fred Meyer volunteers…please tell the Store Director the money must be put in the non-armored-car safe for pickup on Monday)
- Final thing to do before you leave….please fill out the form with the quantities of food received and call Caryln at Idaho Foodbank 208 830-6242 and report the quantities. This is very important!
Once again, THANK YOU so much for your help. If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a call.
Traci Liew, KTVB Community Service Director
Items in your volunteer bag:
- Hand/toe warmers
- List of most needed items –please hand these out when people ask what items are most needed
- Food Assistance Locator—please hand these out to anyone indicating that they are in need of food assistance
- 7Cares Idaho Shares “Donate Here” signs (6 per location)—please attach to shopping carts where customers can place their donated items and/or use on table for display
- Tape/zip ties—please use tape (or zip ties) to attach “Donate Here” signs to table and shopping carts
- Scissors—use to remove the zip ties.
- 7Cares Tally sheet—please fill out sheet at end of day and call in total food donations to Caryln: 208 830-6242. Do your best estimation.
- Sheet describing protocol if someone asks for food 10.Cash bags and form to complete at end of day.
7 Cares Idaho Shares Protocol If Someone Asks for Food
It is very likely that someone might approach you while you are working at your site for 7 Cares Idaho Shares and ask for food. If this happens, please ask the following questions:
- While I prepare your food box, do you have any food allergies that we need to be aware of?
- Do you have the ability to cook?
If they have a food allergy, please scan the ingredients list on the product to ensure that it does not contain their allergen.
If they do not have the ability to cook, please include product that they will easily be able to eat without cooking.
Go through the product and try to get a variety of food that covers all or most of the food groups. Please try to include a few fruits and vegetables, and some protein (such as canned meats and peanut butter).
The food supply that you give them should not include more than a couple days of food. Please also give them a flyer with links to The Idaho Foodbank website where they can locate a food pantry close to them.
If you have any questions, please call Mary Ann Liby, Agency Relations Supervisor, at 208-794-3627.
What to do with the cash at the end of the event
- You DO NOT need to count the money!
- Place all of the cash in the plastic cash bags provided by Loomis and seal each bag. (if you have enough bags, please place bills in their own bag and coins in their own bag). Do not fill the bags more than half full of coins. If you were given large heavy-duty bags, please use those for the coins. Make sure to seal each bag. Please write location info on coin bags as they are not pre-labeled. (Sharpie type marker works best)
- Fill out the Loomis form (see instructions below).
- Take bags and form to Store Director/Manager at Courtesy Counter inside the store.
- Leave cash collection container near food to be picked up by Idaho Foodbank.
Questions? Call Traci Liew at (208) 863-3788