Chef Lou’s Strawberry, Mozzarella, & Basil Turnovers
4 ea 6”X6” puff pastry squares, thawed + 2 tsp flour for surface
2 teaspoons all purpose flour
4 teaspoons raspberry preserves
1-1/2 cups sliced Strawberries
2 tablespoons fresh minced Basil
Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1/3 lb Fresh Mozzarella cheese, Sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees.
- Lightly grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside
- Lay the pastry squares on a flat, lightly floured surface
- Dot each pastry with 1 tsp. of the preserves, spreading it around the center of the square. Then sprinkle with some of the flour.
- Layer a row of overlapping strawberry slices over half of the dough: leave a good ¾ inch border around the slices, following line of the pastry; sprinkle the minced basil and black pepper over the strawberries, then sprinkle with flour. Lay one or two slices of mozzarella on next to cover.
- Moisten the edge of the pastry and fold the empty half over the cheese; pinch the edges together; place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat process with the remaining three turnovers.
- Brush each turnover with a little egg and sprinkle with granulated sugar; then poke the surface 2 or 3 times with a fork to make steam vents.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the center oven rack; Rotate baking sheet 180 degrees and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer turnovers to a wire rack and let cool; while still warm, drizzle with honey.