Total: 1 hr 25 min
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 1 hr 15 min
Yield: 4 servings
• 1 pound bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
• 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour
• 8 chicken thighs, skin on
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 12 pearl onions
• 2 pounds crimini mushrooms, quartered
• 1/4 cup chopped shallots
• 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
• 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme
• 2 bay leaves
• 3 cups young full-bodied red wine (Cabernet, Burgandy, Red Zinfandel)
• 2 cups brown chicken or veal stock
• 2 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
• 4 cups Mashed Potatoes, hot (seasoned with roasted garlic, fresh sage, butter, cream, salt and pepper)
In a large hot ovenproof skillet with a lid, render the bacon until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the bacon, drain on paper towels and set aside.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour, coating each side completely. Reserve remaining flour.
Lay the chicken, skin side down, in the hot bacon fat and brown the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add the onions to the pan and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the thyme and bay leaves. Add the chicken back to the pan. Add the red wine and chicken stock.
Bring the liquid up to a simmer and cover. Cook the chicken until very tender, about 30 to 35 minutes, skimming off the fat. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and set aside.
Blend the remaining flour and butter together into a smooth paste (beurre manii). Whisk the paste into hot liquid. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Spoon the potatoes onto each serving plate. Lay two pieces of the chicken next to the potatoes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with the reserved crispy bacon, thyme, and parsley.