December is National Pear month and this year, bring tidings of joy with ripe, juicy pears to your next festive gathering or meal. Molly will share with viewers, two perfect holiday 'pear' ings featuring the vibrant colors of the season.
• Each medium pear providing more than 20% of the daily recommended amount of fiber (6 grams) and 10% of the daily value for the antioxidant, Vitamin C.
• There are other important plant compounds in pears including flavonoids, which may have strong antioxidant and possible anti-inflammatory and anti-viral activity in the body
• December is National Pear Month, there are 10 types of pears that the U.S. harvests each year available Fall through Winter
• A lighter ending to holiday meals, easy to make for a quick holiday party, beautiful presentation
• Pick the perfect pear-
- Ripen fresh pears at room temperature.
- Ripe pears can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- To prevent sliced pears from browning, dip into a mix of 1-part lemon juice and 3 parts water.
- Check the neck for ripeness. Press at the top of the pear near the stem. If it yields to gentle pressure, it is ready to eat!
Pear Pistachio Crunch
Servings per recipe: 8 (2 pear wedges each)
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
**Semisweet can be substituted
2 large pears, cored and cut into 8 wedges and/or slices
1/2 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
**TIP: You can run the pistachios briefly through a mini food processor or use a hand chopper or knife.
1. Add chocolate chips to a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measure and melt gently in the microwave on a high setting for about 30 seconds. Microwave 10 seconds at a time, if needed, until chocolate is completely melted when stirred.
2. Place chopped pistachios into a short glass. Line a jellyroll pan with waxed or parchment paper, if refrigerating the pear wedges for an hour or until serving.
3. Dip pear wedges, one at a time, partly into the melted chocolate, then partly into the chopped pistachios then place on the prepared jellyroll pan (if refrigerating). If serving immediately, dip the pear wedges into the chocolate then place on a serving plate and sprinkle the pistachios over the top.
**If you have left over chocolate- put it to use with this additional holiday treat: **
5-Ingredient Holiday Chocolate Drops
SERVINGS: Serves 32
PREP TIME: 15 mins
TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
The EASIEST no-mess holiday treat! Dark chocolate mixed with coconut & almonds, topped with pomegranate seeds that take them over the top! Make a perfect sweet gift.
• 1 cup raw almonds (roughly chopped)
• 1 cup O Organics™ Shaved Coconut (unsweetened)
• 2 cups dark chocolate chips (60 - 70% cacao or greater)
• 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
• sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400º. Place chopped almonds on a baking sheet and roast for 5 - 7minutes, until golden brown. Add flaked coconut during the last 2 minutes (simply place it on the side), and take it out as soon as it turns light brown.
2. Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir. Continue to microwave in 10-second intervals, stirring in between, until chocolate is fully melted.
3. Stir in toasted almonds and coconut. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper. Sprinkle a few pomegranate seeds and a pinch of sea salt on to each. If desired, sprinkle a few unsweetened coconut flakes on top.
4. Let cool until set, about 30 minutes (or let set overnight). Enjoy!
SERVINGS: Serves 1
PREP TIME: 10 mins
TOTAL TIME: 15 mins
SOURCE: O Organics
This easy to prep salad makes a HUGE bowl. Enjoy the Superfood Salad with a giant fork & appetite!
• 2 big handfuls chopped Dinosaur kale (about 3 cups)
• 1 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
• 1/4 of a ripe pear (sliced thinly)
• 1/4 of a small sweet potato (made into thin slices with a vegetable peeler)
• 1/4 cup ripe strawberries (chopped into chunks or sliced)
• 2 teaspoons O Organics™ olive oil
• 1 small clove peeled garlic
• 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
1. Use a small saucepan to heat oil over low heat. Smash garlic clove with the side of a knife, and add it to the oil. Let the garlic clove simmer just one minute, and then remove. Remove pan from heat, add in apple cider vinegar, lemon zest & sea salt, swirling the pan to combine everything.
2. Add chopped kale to a salad bowl, and pour warmed olive oil vinaigrette mixture over. Toss around with your hands, to make sure every part of the kale is coated. Kale will start to break down just a bit and become brighter green. As it does this, it means it will be easier to digest, and be more flavorful as well!
3. Layer on pear, sweet potato, sliced strawberries and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy the Superfood Salad with a giant fork & appetite!