CALDWELL, Idaho — Editor's Note: The video is a 2020 story about how Indian Creek revitalized downtown Caldwell.
The 19th annual Indian Creek Festival kicks off in downtown Caldwell on Friday night.
What started out as a small gathering in a parking lot has grown over the years into a two-day festival that spans several city blocks and features a variety of activities.
During the festival, there will be a car cruise, car show, chalk art contest, music and a local marketplace.
The big attraction for visitors is the cardboard kayak race. Teams compete to see who can build the fastest, watertight kayak made from only cardboard and duct tape.
The theme for this year's Indian Creek Festival is "We Are Family."
The festival is held on Friday, Sept. 17 and Saturday, Sept.18.
Here is the schedule of events for Friday:
- 5 - 6 p.m. - Treasure Valley Community College dedication to Mayor Garrett Nancolas
- 5 - 7 p.m. - Car Cruise registration at TVCC parking lot
- 6 - 9 p.m. - Oldies on the Plaza with Smooth Avenue followed by JR & The Stingrays
- 7 - 9 p.m. - Car Cruise around downtown Caldwell
Here's the schedule of events for Saturday:
- 6 a.m. - Car Show registration begins
- 7 a.m. - 1 p.m. - Car Show & Shine
- 7 a.m. - 10 a.m. - Fireman's Breakfast on Indian Creek Plaza
- 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. - Bike Rodeo at TVCC parking lot
- 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. - Chalk the Block with Caldwell Fine Arts
- 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Marketplace & Food Court open at TVCC parking lot
- 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. - 4-H Kiddie Corner
- 1 p.m. - Car Show award ceremony
- 1:30 - 2 p.m. - Caldwell High School Marching Band
- 2 - 3 p.m. - Kayak Races
- 3 - 5 p.m. - Dirt Road Dancing Competition
The Indian Creek Festival got its start in 2003 as a celebration of when the first section of Indian Creek in downtown Caldwell was uncovered.
Watch more Local News:
See the latest news from around the Treasure Valley and the Gem State in our YouTube playlist: