NAMPA -- With the Fourth of July on the horizon, fire crews are very concerned that a simple spark could get out of hand.
Firefighters say even the simplest of fireworks, like sparklers, can start a fire within seconds, especially in the dry conditions we've been experiencing lately.
"I don't think a lot of people realize how bad things really are out here," said Nampa Fire Deputy Chief Doug Strosnider.
Strosnider wanted to show us firsthand the dangers of a firework and dry brush. So he conducted a demonstration Monday by lighting a sparkler and throwing it into some brush. It didn't take long for the fire to ignite and spread out.
Strosnider says he's not trying to take the fun out of the Fourth of July season, he just wants families to be extra careful, even with those fireworks labeled "safe and sane."
"Unsafe and insane is really what they should be listed as from our perspective because there is a danger," he said.
Before the demonstration safety precautions were taken as firefighters dug a fire line and sprayed water on the outlying area. But Strosnider says some families aren't as careful as they should be when lighting fireworks.
"Common sense is not so common anymore," said Strosnider. "People do a lot of stuff that increases our call volume. This stuff is very unpredictable that's considered legal in the state of Idaho."
The city of Nampa has already implemented a ban on all open burning in their fire district, something they haven't done in at least 20 years.