Boise boy gets tongue stuck on pole, freed by firefighters

Credit: Gary Salzman/KTVB

Boise boy gets tongue stuck on pole, freed by firefighters


by Ysabel Bilbao
Idaho's NewsChannel 7


Posted on December 9, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Updated Tuesday, Nov 26 at 3:04 AM


BOISE -- It was like a scene out of a popular Christmas movie.

The scene is where Ralphie's friend, Flick, sticks his tongue to a pole in the holiday classic "A Christmas Story," and it happened in Boise Tuesday morning when a 10-year-old boy tested Mother Nature.

Sam Nicholson said he had tried it before but nothing happened, but it was a little colder outside Tuesday and he decided to try it again.  This time his tongue stuck to the pole.

A woman driving by noticed something strange.  When she realized what had happened, she called the fire department.

The Boise Fire Department responded and found Sam Nicholson stuck to the pole, cold and in need of help.

Armed with a cup of warm water, firefighters poured the water on Sam's tongue and he was instantly set free.

Sam learned his lesson and hopes by sharing his story he will prevent other kids from trying the same stunt.

"I have done it when it was barely cold and it didn't stick, and the pole that I stuck my tongue to it was really frosty," said Sam Nicholson.  "It hurts badly, when you try to swallow and stuff."

"Twenty-one years on the department and never seen it in real life actually happens," said Boise Fire Capt. Bill Tinsley.

Sam is not alone.  Also Tuesday, a 13-year-old girl from Spokane Valley in Eastern Washington tried the trick too and became stuck.

The teen thought she would give it a try after her friend put her lips to the pole and was able to pull away.

That friend called the fire department and hot water helped free her too.

This may seem so trivial, but it can be very dangerous when help is not called and children try to pull away tearing their tongue, tearing the flesh.

The moral here for parents -- tell your children to never try this at home or anywhere else.