BOISE -- Balloons took to the sky above Ann Morrison ark to kick off the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic. The event is in its 23rd year and was founded by Boise native Scott Spencer.
Wednesday was Kids Day and balloon pilots tethered their balloons to the ground to take young fans on the ride of a lifetime.
Kids had the chance to float feet into the air and learn about what it takes to set up and fly in a hot air balloon.
During the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic, launches take place every morning, weather permitting. The event lasts for five days.
Here's a breakdown of the schedule:
- Wednesday: Kids Day, balloon launch at 7:10 a.m. at Ann Morrison Park. About 15 balloons expected.
- Thursday: Inflation and launch from Ann Morrison Park at 7:10 a.m. Expect about 20 balloons.
- Friday: VIP Day and "Nite Glow Spectacular" at Ann Morrison Park. Balloons launch in the morning at 7:10 a.m. Expect about 50 balloons. Later that day, balloons will be inflated at dusk (around 8:30 p.m.) and will glow like lanterns. There will also be food, activities and live music.
- Saturday: Inflation and launch from Ann Morrison Park at 7:10 a.m. Expect about 20 balloons.
- Sunday:7:10 a.m. balloon inflation and "The Great Launch" attempt. The goal is to get all 50 balloons up into the air in two minutes. "The Great Launch" requires perfect weather so cross your fingers.
KTVB is proud to be the official television sponsor for the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic.