13 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

BOISE-- A Boise couple who lost their dog Sunday, after jumping into a scalding hot geothermal pool hopes preventative changes are on the way.

The incident happened at around 11:00 a.m. at the base of a trail below Table Rock and the 13-year-old border collie mix named Jasper died within seconds of leaping into the water.

The exposed hot springs looks like a ditch or creek, and sits next to the west side of the trailhead parking lot at the end of East Old Penitentiary Road.

A family friend of Paul Whitworth and Carrie Semmelroth who owned Jasper, spoke to KTVB Tuesday about the devastating accident.

"Unfortunately, they are a little too emotional to go on camera," said Jaime Hansen.

Hansen said the day was like many others Carrie and Jasper spent together hiking in the Boise foothills.

"He loved hiking around and being outside especially with Carrie," she said.

Hansen explained that as the two reached the end of the trail, Jasper saw some water and headed in to try and cool off, but that is when Carrie realized something was wrong.

"She heard a howl, (and) she didn't know if it was a trap, or snake, or what was down there, but he was obviously in pain," said Hansen.

Jasper dove into a scalding hot geothermal pool of water with a temperature of 170 degrees.

"He had dove in, and (it was) assumed that he probably drank some, and his paws were blistered and his belly," she said.

Jasper had third degree burns on his body, and Carrie was traumatized at what just happened. He died within minutes of being pulled out of the hot pool.

"I can't imagine what it's like to lose a dog, and actually have it die in your arms. It's got to be pretty tough," said Hansen.

Now, there is signs labeled "danger" in the area.

"It's the water that came from our district, so how can I say that it's not our responsibility," said Warm Springs Water District Chairman Patrick Frischmuth.

He explains over the weekend, their water pumps were shut off because of construction going on just off Warm Springs Avenue. The pumps run on a pressurized system, and rarely does it overflow.

'But because the water was very close to the surface already, it finally bubbled up," said Frischmuth.

By Sunday morning, there were several inches of hot water in the ditch, and just days prior to Jasper dying; Frischmuth mentioned to other water district staff, that the area could be dangerous if it overflows.

"It's one of those things where you talk about it, and you say okay we need to do something about this," he said.

Frischmuth attached more warning signs on the orange barrier around the hot pool area, Tuesday afternoon. Hansen took the opportunity to send out a message on behalf of her friends.

'Keep hold of your dogs, or maybe your children, and just be really aware of any water that you might see. Because apparently these things are cropping up," she said.

Frischmuth said an engineer was hired to find a permanent fix to the geothermal drainage near the trail, and envisions placing a concrete overlay in the area, and also said there are no other pools in the area.

13 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2014/07/22/dog-scalded-table-rock/12983437/