CALDWELL -- A Caldwell couple escaped a burning mobile home Sunday night, but several of their small pets weren't so lucky.

The fire broke out shortly after 10:30 p.m. at the Towns Village mobile home park. That's just off Interstate 84 near the exit for Notus and Parma.

Neighbors tell KTVBthey worked to battle the flames, some with garden hoses and fire extinguishers.

I grabbed my fire extinguisher and came over and tried to put the bedroom out real quick, said neighbor Michael Montero. But it flashed back up again; it was too hot already.

Chief Brad Trosky with the Middleton Rural Fire District says the fire started after a lightbulb being used to heat a gerbil cage fell and ignited some flannel blankets and woodchips.

Trosky says the couple living inside were lucky to be awake when the fire started. He says they were able to kick out a door and escape.

The fire and smoke filled the trailer pretty quick, Trosky told KTVB.The Middleton chief also said that while both residents were able to evacuate, they didn't have smoke detectors.

Firefighters with the Nampa Fire Department and Star Fire Department assisted Middleton in battling the flames.

Caldwell Fire Battalion Chief Brad Carico said several cats reportedly escaped the fire, and a dog turned up at another residence later. He says several gerbils died in the flames.

KTVB spoke to the couple who survived the trailer fire. They say they don't have insurance, but are being temporarily assisted by the Red Cross.

Read or Share this story: