PORTLAND, Ore. The U.S. Department of Transportation has revoked a Canadian company's authority to provide passenger service in the United States following an Oregon bus crash that killed nine passengers and left 38 injured.
The agency said in an order Tuesday afternoon that Mi Joo Tour & Travel allowed its driver to remain behind the wheel after he had been on duty for 92 hours during an eight-day stretch far more than the 70-hour federal limit.
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement that the government will move quickly to shut down bus companies that do not operate safely.
The Oregon State Police and National Transportation Safety Board have yet to say what caused the Dec. 30 crash on Interstate 84 east of Pendleton.