TROUTDALE, Ore. -- One student was killed and the shooter was also dead after gunfire broke out inside Reynolds High School in Troutdale Tuesday morning, police said.

Two students who were at the shooting scene reported that more than one person had a gun and one was stripped of a weapon after a search and taken into custody.

Police raced to Reynolds High School just after 8 a.m., Tuesday after gunshots were reported at the Troutdale school, on the last week of classes.

SWATofficers quickly started surrounding and searching the school as students began to file out, their hands on their heads in the evacuation.

Just over an hour later, police confirmed that the shooter was dead and said they didn't believe their was more than one gunman.

At 10 a.m., police confirmed that one student had also been killed. The student's name and gender have not been released.

Track coach Todd Rispler told KGWhe suffered a graze wound to the hip in the incident.

As SWAT teams continued to work their way through the school, evacuated students were bused to a nearby grocery store parking lot.

Parents were told to go to the Wood Village Fred Meyer to pick up their kids. This may take until noon. Students will be released one at a time, in an unspecified processing system. They were reunited with their children starting at about 10:20.

Raise your hand if you see your kid, said Lt. Steve Alexander of the Multnomah County sheriff's office. We'll get you to them.

A mother in the Fred Meyer parking lot said she would give her child a hug. When she learned that a student had been killed, she paused and said quietly I don't want to know who it is.

A student just reunited with his mother told KGW it feels good to be back with her. He described a chaotic scene in the school with people screaming. No one knew what was going on. We all went to the back of the classroom.

His mother told KGW she learned of the shooting on the news and knew nothing else. I am so glad to see him.

Another student said the shooting was in the gymnasium. The gunman ran by him and after the teacher Rispler. He said he saw a gunman patted down by police and arrested though authorities have released few details of the incident.

His mother said she learned of the shooting via a text from him. She thought What, what, seriously? Then you get another that they're huddled up in a hallway.

The second gunman scenario was also outlined by a student named Tyler who told KGW he heard at least six shots. A group of students was herded together and evacuated, including someone with a gun who was taken into custody just outside the school. He said twice in the interview that there were three or four people with guns.

A parent, Dawn, told KGW earlier in the morning that her son Josiah was safe, but knew nothing of the situation.

I just heard he was okay but he doesn't know what's going on. I just want to see him to make sure he's okay. To personally see him. I'm scared. I just don't know what to do. I didn't know where to go. Ijust came here. Some people got texts. Some didn't. So we just wait.

Later in the morning, she learned her son was safe and standing in a parking lot awaiting what to do next. He sounded like a 15-year-old.

LIfeflight had landed near the school and staged for some time before leaving without a patient.

A number of emergency vehicles staged near the school. A significant number of officers arrived and surround the school. A Multnomah County sheriff's office spokesman confirmed the response was for an active shooter.

A student tweeted that the school was in lockdown and a number of police cars have rolled up. A second student has tweeted that she heard gunfire. A third reported a police officer racing towards the school's gymnasium.

Read or Share this story: