BOISE -- An Idaho judge has ordered the Avon lady to pay her state taxes.

According to the Idaho State Tax Commission, Geneva McInroy of Weiser failed to file Idaho tax returns for 2008 through 2011. During that four-year period her income totaled more than $150,000.

Court files show that McInroy, as an employee of Avon Products, Inc., had income of at least $48,691 for 2008; $34,866 for 2009, $37,138 for 2010; and $36,220 for 2011.

Third District Court Judge Susan Wiebe issued an order to compel McInroy to file tax returns for 2008 through 2011. She has until April 4 to comply with the judge's order.

When taxpayers repeatedly turn a blind eye to the law, it's our job to step in and take enforcement action, said Tax Commission Chairman Rich Jackson. Otherwise, we're not being fair to the majority of taxpayers who regularly file their tax returns as the law requires.

According to Tax Commission records, McInroy has not filed Idaho income tax return since 1995. The Tax Commission brought administrative action against her on three previous occasions for failing to file tax returns for 1995-2001; 2002-2006; and 2007.

When do you have to file taxes with a side business?

Specific circumstances of McInroy's living and working situation are unknown, and she did not return KTVB's phone message. With the details known from the court filings, KTVB was interested in looking into income caps for tax filings.

Idaho State Tax Commission officials say there is sometimes confusion, especially if someone may be a stay-at-home mom who sells something like Avon, Scentsy or Pampered Chef for a little extra money.

Others who may not realize tax requirements include artists and crafters who sell in boutiques or out-of-state farmers market or craft fair vendors.

You run across people who think, well I'm just making a little bit of money, so I probably wouldn't have to file. But that may not be the case, said Cynthia Adrian, Idaho State Tax Commission Tax Policy Specialist.

Guidelines for income tax caps for 2013 filings

Adrian says the need to file depends on exactly how much income is generated and a few other factors like age and marraige status.

It depends on your filing status. So if you're single or if you married filing joint, there's just various levels, and it all depends upon that, Adrian said.

Adrian gave us some of the form instructions for this year. Here are some of the guidelines: If you're single and under 65, you need to file if you make more than $10,000. If over 65 and single, you need to file if you make more than $11,500 in gross income.

If you're married and filing jointly, you need to file if you're both under 65 and making a total of more than $20,000. The limit is $21,200 if one spouse is over 65, and the limit is $22,400 if both are over 65 years old.

The dollar limits are all for gross income, which means income without any deductions or expenses taken out. Additionally, the limits are for the total income for all jobs.

If they have a job and do this on the side as extra income, it would be the total of their income. So it's not just the total from that business, it's their total wages plus the supplemental, Adrian said. So if they work at Micron and do Scentsy on the side, or Pampered Chef or something like that, it would be total gross income.

If you don't file, you could get hit with penalties on top of taxes owed

If someone doesn't file and pay if he or she owes, the Tax Commission says officials will likely figure it out and could tack on additional penalties on top of any back taxes owed.

Sometimes we send out bills, I guess you would call them, that say, 'You owe this because you had income and you failed to report it', Adrian said. There can also be penalties assessed because of that. Not just the tax and interest that would be due, but penalties for failing to file.

Read or Share this story: