TWIN FALLS One man was shot and killed and a state trooper was shot in the leg during a three-hour standoff Friday morning at a Twin Falls hotel.

It was a chaotic series of events that unfolded following an attempted traffic stop just before 8 a.m.

Twin Falls Police say an Idaho State Police trooper tried pulling over a speeding truck with Nevada plates just west of Twin Falls.

When the driver, who has been identified as Clark Cleveland, 27, of Nevada, refused to pull over, a chase ensued, topping speeds of 100 miles per hour.

The high speed chase lasted 12 minutes.

Police say Cleveland crashed the truck he was driving into a motor-home and an SUV near the Hampton Inn on Fillmore Street, near Pole Line Road and Blue Lakes Boulevard.

We're told no one was hurt in the crash.

Cleveland then ran into the Hampton Inn.

An unidentified passenger in the truck was taken into custody at the scene.

From inside the hotel, police say Cleveland started shooting and a bullet struck an Idaho State Police trooper in the leg. The officer was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Another man, identified Saturday as Tracy L. Ivie, 43, of Lindon, Utah, was shot and killed.

Twin Falls County Prosecutor Grant Loebs says as far as he knows no officers fired their weapons.

Officers then backed off and set up a perimeter, while also working to evacuate all the hotel guests.

To speed up the evacuation someone pulled the fire alarm just after 8:20 a.m. to get the people out of their rooms.

For an hour and a half, police officers from all over the Magic Valley surrounded the hotel, preparing to go inside.

At 10 a.m. two SWAT teams made their way into the hotel looking for Cleveland who they knew was held up in a stairwell with a female hostage.

A short time later, officers and Cleveland began negotiations. During those negotiations Cleveland demanded beer and cigarettes but didn't get them.

Then around 10:40 a.m. officers walked out of the hotel with Cleveland in handcuffs.

At this time, I can confirm that the suspect is in custody. There was one hostage that he did release. That hostage is fine right now, said Twin Falls Police Officer Luke Allen.

Loebs says Cleveland is being charged with aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer with a weapons enhancement and felony eluding police. He will likely be charged with additional crimes. His passenger has been released from police custody and is not facing any charges.

As for the wounded trooper, we're told he is in good condition and that his injury was not life-threatening.

Read or Share this story: