EMMETT -- The American Red Cross of Idaho is helping two families that were displaced by a house fire in Emmett. The seven people from those families lived in the home together.

Red Cross says they're assisting the families with money for food, clothing, and motel costs.

The fire happened yesterday on South Slope Road. Gem County authorities say the fire was caused by a Folgers-like coffee can with cigarette butts left in it. The can was left near the backdoor of the home and eventually caught the walls on fire.

The fire caused extensive damage to the home.

Read or Share this story: