BOISE-- Boise firefighters rescued a dog from a house fire on Peasley Street this afternoon.

Battalion Chief Tom Pawek says when he arrived on scene he could see smoke coming from the three-story home and the fire inside appeared to be building momentum on the first floor. That's when the call went out for a second alarm.

Homeowner J.D. Hawley said his dog, a pit bull-Chihuahua mix named Edgar, was still inside his kennel in the basement. Pawek says they determined it was safe to send someone inside to get the dog and make sure no one else was in the basement.

I was so happy that he (Edgar) got out, said Hawley.

Fire crews were able to knock down the fire before it could spread to any nearby homes. Pawek says there was significant damage to the first floor, and some smoke damage on floors two and three.

Investigators say its appears that a kitchen appliance may have sparked the fire.

No one was home at the time the fire broke out. There were no injuries.

Hawley says his biggest concern now is finding a place to stay since his home is so badly damaged.

Read or Share this story: