SEATTLE -- When police in Lincoln City, Ore. entered a motel room after a day-long standoff, they found murder suspect unconscious Michael Chadd Boysen unconcious with self-inflicted cutting wounds.

Boysen was airlifted to Emmanuel Hospital inPortland. His condition was upgraded from critical to serious condition overnight.

Once Boysen is well enough to go to court, Washington state will seek to extradite him back to King County to face charges.

Boysen was wanted for killing his grandparents in their Renton home and was taken into custody Tuesday in Lincoln City on the central Oregon coast.

Authorities spent much of the day trying to get 26-year-old Michael Chadd Boysen to come out of his room. A state police negotiator used a bullhorn to urge him to surrender and officers later fired blasts from a water cannon to try to get some kind of response.

Lincoln City Police Chief Keith Killian said police took advance of tactical opening to arrest Boysen. No shots were fired during the incident.

The standoff began early Tueday when a clerk at the Westshore Oceanfront Motel was watching TV and saw the name and face of Boysen. She remembered that she had checked him in on Monday night and called police.

Oregon State Police, the Lincoln City Police and Lincoln County Sheriff's Office surrounded the motel.

Police evacuated the hotel by posing as housekeeping, as well as evacuating homes in the immediate area.

Unfortunately this hotel doesn't have individual phones in each room, so we just nonchalantly knocked on the surrounding doors, obviously it was a Monday or Tuesday so the hotel wasn't full, said Killian.

Boysen was released from prison Friday after serving several years for robbery. Urquhart said Boysen's grandparents -- an 82-year-old man and 80-year-old woman -- picked him up from prison and hosted a family welcome home party for him that night.

The couple was killed later Friday or early Saturday at their Renton home.Friends of the victims have identified them as Robert and Norma Taylor.

According to the sheriff's office, the Taylors picked Boysen up from the Monroe Corrections Complex Friday. That same evening, there was a party to welcome Boysen home from prison.Investigators said there was no indication of the violence to come.

They brought him back to the house, they fixed up a room for him to stay in. All the things you would expect grandparents to do for a 26-year-old grandson. We are at a loss as to why he killed them, said Urquhart.

But he told others he would.

At the home of Michael Boysen's mother on Tuesday, flowers and condolences sat outside the door.

The family is cooperating. Melanie Boysen told investigators the family had no idea of her son's alleged intent to kill family members and law enforcement when he got out of prison.

This is a son, a brother, a nephew that allegedly committed a pretty heinous crime, said Urquhart. I ve been doing this job 36 years. Every time I think I've seen it all, heard it all, something new comes along that just, all of us are going around saying my god this is unbelievable.

Read or Share this story: