Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

BOISE Boise firefighters rescued an intoxicated man from a smoke-filled apartment Tuesday night after the man ignited fireworks inside the residence.

A neighbor saw heavy smoke coming from an apartment on the 500 block of North 14 Street just before 9 p.m. and called 911.

When fire crews arrived on scene, neighbors said the man was still inside and did not respond despite neighbors pounding on the door and calling for him.

When firefighters went into the apartment they found the man passed out in a bedroom while a piece of furniture smoldered.

When firefighters first went into the apartment, the smoke was so thick they couldn't tell where it was coming from. But they knew someone was inside so their first priority was to find the man and get him to safety, which they did, said Battalion Chief Steve Rasulo.

Firefighters carried the man outside where paramedics checked him out. The man appeared to be intoxicated but did not require any further medical attention.

Investigators say it appears the man ignited a spinning type of fireworks inside the apartment. That ignited a chair covered with clothes in the living area. Firefighters extinguished the fire and cleared the smoke out the apartment. No other damage was reported.

Firefighters and responding Boise Police officers educated the man on the dangers of using fireworks inside a residence.

Read or Share this story: