Fall of 2010: Katy Benoit took a class taught by assistant professor Ernesto Bustamante

End of fall semester: The two were involved in a sexual relationship

June 10, 2011: University's first contact with Benoit to discuss a complaint. They met to discuss safety precautions.

June 10, 2011: Lt. Lehmitz received a phone call from Katy Benoit. The University of Idaho referred her to Moscow Police to address safety concerns.

June 12, 2011: Katy Benoit filed a sexual harassment complaint with the University of Idaho. It alleged Bustamante threatened her violently with a gun on three occasions --January 2011, after spring break of 2011, and May of 2011 -- detailing the manner in which he would use it.

June 13, 2011: Benoit sends e-mail indicating she contacted Moscow Police Department.

June 14, 2011: Benoit sends e-mail to university saying she does not want Bustamante served with her complaint yet. She said she would come in to talk about it the next day.

June 16, 2011: When Benoit didn't come in to talk, the university sent her an e-mail encouraging the follow-up meeting.

June 30, 2011: University receives e-mail from Benoit apologizing for being out of touch.

July 6, 2011: University informed Benoit by e-mail her complaint had been sent to Bustamante along with a letter detailing the possible policy violations. It had been held until this date at Benoit's request. The university told her Bustamante was ordered to have no contact with her.

July 8, 2011: Bustamante filed a formal complaint with UI against Katy Benoit, accusing her of making unfounded complaints and potential defamation of character.

July 14, 2011: UI requested Moscow Police participate in a threat assessment concerning the threatening behavior of Ernesto Bustamante. University investigators met with Benoit to review Bustamante's response and notify her that they would be interviewing him on July 19. She was asked to stay somewhere other than her apartment. The Moscow Police tried to call Benoit several times, leaving messages. Benoit did not return the phone calls. Police told the university that she wasn't calling back. The university indicated that Benoit had been referred to Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse and a safety plan had been discussed. The Moscow Police informed the UI that Benoit did not want police involved.

July 19, 2011: UI notified the Moscow Police Department they were not able to make contact with Katy Benoit and asked police to conduct a check of her welfare. UI canceled that welfare check request when they made contact with Benoit via phone to confirm her welfare.

July 22, 2011: University called Benoit to ask her where she would be staying until the start of school. She said she would be in Moscow. They encouraged her to take safety precautions and contact Moscow Police Department if she felt the need.

August 22, 2011: University met with Benoit to tell her Bustamante's last day of employment was

August 19. She was warned to be vigilant and call police if she had any safety concerns.

August 22, 2011: Katy was shot outside her home at 8:40 p.m.

August 23, 2011: Moscow Police find Ernesto Bustamante dead in a hotel room at the University Inn-Best Western.

August 23, 2011: Police searched hotel room #213 of the University Inn-Best Western where the body of Ernesto Bustamante was found. The found several guns and medications.

Ernesto Bustamante had the following citations on his record:

  • July 30, 2009: He was issued a citation for failing to obey a blinking red traffic signal light. He plead guilty and paid a fine of $85.00.
  • March 29, 2010: He was issued a citation for failing to show proof of vehicle insurance. That citation was later dismissed when he provided proof of insurance to the court.
  • July 4, 2010: He was a complainant in reference to a fireworks call.
  • October 24, 2010: He was referenced as an ex-boyfriend in a report of a suicide attempt. He was never contacted or found to be involved in this reported incident.
  • November 2, 2010: He was a victim of a battery and a malicious injury to property. The suspect was cited and released for battery and malicious injury to property. The suspect pled guilty to an amended charge of disturbing the peace. The battery charge was dismissed.
  • November 30, 2010: As a result of the incident of November 2, 2010, a protection order was issued identifying Ernesto Bustamante as the protected person.
Read or Share this story: