SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. -- Several people were out of a place to live early Thursday after a fire ripped through a Spokane Valley home and garage.

It started just after 1 a.m. on the 1000 block of South St. Charles Road.

The home is for troubled children. A child development director thought he heard something outside and went out to investigate. He saw smoke coming from the garage. He rushed back inside, woke up four children sleeping in the home, and got everyone outside safely.

Firefighters managed to squash the fire quickly. However, due to heavy smoke damage, the home is uninhabitable.

The children were transferred to another home for shelter.

Read or Share this story: