MERIDIAN -- Meridian Police say no criminal charges will be filed in the death of an 18-year-old Marine who died from carbon monoxide.

Police released their report on the case on Friday.

It is 374 pages and reveals some shocking new details about the death of McQuen Forbush in November of 2012.

The report includes concerns from others living at Sagecrest Apartments that there was a history of faulty water heaters and carbon monoxide leaks.

It also contains information about exactly what caused the deadly gas leak at Sagecrest Apartments.

The report says Forbush died from a level of 57 parts per million of carbon monoxide. Testing later that day inside the unit showed levels of 337 ppm.

The lengthy police report also explains that several factors caused the deadly leak.

Investigators say it was a combination of the water heater, furnace placement, and location of combustion openings - all contributed to the back draft of CO.

We're also learning that an HVAC inspection showed that the same contributing factors are present in similar units.

The Division of Building Safety says two alarms were inside the unit, but even though they appeared to be functioning, later testing showed neither alarm sounded at any point, even when CO levels exceeded lethal limits.

The report contains letters and calls of concern from others living at Sagecrest.

It also includes seven reports of carbon monoxide calls in two years.

Sagecrest even sent a letter to tenants months earlier warning of the issue.

In the report, one resident says the same night after Forbush's body was found, employees at the complex acted quickly to install detectors.

That resident told investigators, right after it happened, they were in here, that night, banging on everybody's doors... install those other alarms.

While Meridian Police tell us no criminal charges will be filed, a civil lawsuit has been filed. It lists 16 defendants, including property managers, building owners, and manufacturers.

While there are a lot of defendants here it's not atypical in a situation like this where a great number of people may have had some role, large or small, in causing the death allegedly, said former Idaho Attorney General David Leroy.

Leroy explains that the plaintiffs will have to prove exactly who did what and show evidence that Forbush's death was preventable.

The real key here is the potential for punitive damages, that the court will hear as to whether someone was intentionally acting badly, or was so grossly negligent that only damages the recovery of loss, but punishments are appropriate, said Leroy.

During our investigation, we've reached out to Sagecrest and First Rate Property Management several times. The report explains why we haven't gotten a comment.

It includes a letter from building owners that says the management could not talk to any tenant or media about Forbush's death.

It says they also could not allow any tenant to break their lease as a result of his death.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit are both Forbush's family and Breanna Halowell, his girlfriend, who was at the apartment when he died.

We have also learned that later testing inside that unit showed a level of 337 ppm, more than ten times the lethal limit.

Read or Share this story: