BOISE -- While families in Nepal mourn the loss of 13 Sherpas killed on Mount Everest, a Boise wife is grateful her husband is okay.

The local marine was not far from where the deadly disaster struck.

For hours, overnight Thursday, his family here in Idaho worried, without word from the team.

But early Friday morning, they learned Charlie Linville was okay.

At 28 years old, Linville has already lived through a lot.

His wife Mandi Linville says in 2011, while serving as a bomb technician in Afghanistan, he stepped on an IED.

It just internally combusted everything in his foot and hurt his back and took off some fingers and shook his head up some, said Linville.

A year later, Charlie's right leg had to be amputated below the knee, but Mandi says it only pushed Charlie to tackle bigger missions.

His real effort and goal is show everyone that his disability doesn't define him or the other wounded guys, said Linville.

That drive led to a decision to climb Mount Everest as part of the Heroes Project.

Thursday night, he was not far from Ice Falls, where the avalanche hit.

No one had heard from the team, said Linville. There was no contact. The mountain had gone quiet.

His wife Mandi was awake all night, worrying about Charlie. There was definitely some tears and some worry, and the dangers of this mountain really set in.

About 6 a.m. Friday, she learned Charlie's team was okay, and minutes later her phone rang.

I just knew, oh it's Charlie and the first thing both of us said was oh I love you so much. I'm so happy to hear your voice, said Linville.

Mandi was overjoyed, but then learned that 13 Sherpas died in the avalanche and four others were hurt.

Authorities say the avalanche hit about 20,000 feet up, near Base Camp 2.

Hundreds of climbers and rescuers immediately responded to the avalanche site, and three other Sherpas are still reported missing.

The men who make it possible for the people like my husband to make it up that mountain, they passed, and they passed setting the line for people like Charlie to be successful, and it just really breaks my heart that we lost so many, said Linville.

Charlie still plans to climb the summit, and while his wife is worried, she knows this is his mission -- for all the wounded veterans.

Knowing that he is doing such a life changing feat, an amazing accomplishment, that will inspire so many people, said Linville.

Another Boise man, Dr. Eric Johnson was also on Mount Everest recently, working in the emergency room there.

We have confirmed that he is okay, and he actually flew out of the area before this incident.

Read or Share this story: