SISTERS, Ore. -- Four people were severely burned after someone poured gasoline on a warming fire, causing the fuel and the can to explode Saturday evening in Sisters, deputies said.

Just after 6 p.m., a small crowd was standing around the fire near South Oak Street and West Jefferson Avenue, said Sgt. Ty Rupert with the Deschutes County Sheriff s Office.

The fire was having trouble getting going, so a homeowner in the area decided to pour gasoline on it. The gas immediately ignited then exploded the entire can, severely burning four people on their bodies, hands and faces, Rupert said.

Two of the victims were flown and two others were taken in ambulances to a Bend hospital. One of the victims is in critical condition, two are stable, and one other person was treated and released.

Deputies said the incident was an accident and alcohol was not a contributing factor in the explosion.

The Deschutes County Sheriff s Office wanted to remind people not to use gasoline to start or keep a fire burning.

View Larger Map

Read or Share this story: