BOISE -- Idaho Health and Welfare confirms the first flu-related death of the season.
The department says the patient was an adult over the age of 60 and from south central Idaho.
Last flu season, 35 people who died from flu-related illnesses in Idaho.
Our condolences go out to the family of the person who died from complications of the flu, says Idaho Department of Health and Welfare Deputy State Epidemiologist Dr. Leslie Tengelsen. This underscores how important it is for all of us to take precautions to avoid influenza infections. Now is the time to call your health care provider or local public health district and schedule an appointment to get vaccinated as soon as possible.
Symptom of the flu include:
- And sometimes a cough and sore throat
Those who are vulnerable to complications of the flu include:
- People who are 50 years old or older
- Pregnant women
- Those with certain chronic medical conditions
- Those who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- And those who live with or car for those who are at high risk