SPOKANE, Wash. Police released new details Monday morning about a deadly Sunday night shooting near Garfield and 25th. Officers held a press conference Monday morning where they stated the shooting was not random. Police said the victim was likely targeted.

Officers asked that any victims with security video of the area come forward.

Authorities said responding officers found the back door forced open. Investigators also revealed that nothing appeared to have been stolen from the home.

One man was fatally shot in the home Sunday night. His wife told authorities that she was upstairs hiding in a closet when she heard six gunshots. The victim s wife said she last saw the gunman in their kitchen with a handgun.

Officers were called to the shooting scene near 25th and S. Garfield Sunday evening. Police found a man dead from an apparent gunshot wound on the ground floor of his home. Authorities said the victim was shot multiple times.

The victim s wife called 911 according to officers. She described the shooter as wearing all black but told police she had no idea who the gunman was. On Monday, detectives said it was too early to tell whether the victim knew the suspect.

The victim s body was removed from the home around 6:30 a.m. Monday.

A K9 unit was brought to the scene Sunday evening, but authorities were unable to locate the suspect.

Police patrolled near Hutton Elementary School Monday as long as the investigation was active. Officers said there was possible evidence in the park near the school. As a precaution, extra security guards were expected to be at the school.

On Sunday night, neighbors were shocked when they heard the news of the shooting. Nobody heard anything. When I came home, I went out to ask what was going on and I could smell gunpowder in the air, said one neighbor.

This kind of stuff just doesn't happen in our neighborhood. It is such a peaceful, quiet neighborhood, always has been, said a different neighbor.

Those close with the victim and his wife asked KREM 2 News not to identify neighbors so they could protect the victim's identity.

Those close to the victim said he and his wife owned a construction company and moved to Spokane a few years ago from Moses Lake. They added the couple kept mostly to themselves but said the home was family oriented; family came and went often. They reportedly have several grandchildren.

Read or Share this story: