MERIDIAN-- A fire at a Meridian residence was quickly extinguished Thursday afternoon. According to firefighters, the man living inside the home did not know his house was on fire.

Fire crews were called to a private road on the northside of Chinden Boulevard between Locust Grove and Meridian Road after a passerby saw flames coming from the roof and called 911.

Division Chief Tyler Roundtree with the Meridian Fire Department says the fire broke out near the chimney, possibly started by some sparks which ignited the cedar shake roof. It only damaged the roof top and did not spread to the attic.

There was a man inside the home at the time of the fire. He was not hurt and unaware his house was burning. The fire was quickly contained. Fire crews did briefly close down Chinden Boulevard to extend a fire hose across the street from a nearby fire hydrant.

Roundtree says the home is slated for demolition and this will likely speed up that process. The man living there was in the process of moving out.

Read or Share this story: