BOISE -- Boise firefighters extinguished a small fire that was sparked by a down power line this morning in a Boise neighborhood.

The falling lines did break up a small section of asphalt in the 4500 block of W. Alpine Street, near Orchard and Franklin. There were no road closures.

Firefighters say a squirrel caused the transformer to blow, causing lines to arc and fall. The squirrel did not survive.

The incident was reported around 9:50 a.m. The fire was burning asphalt and that was quickly put out.

There was also a brief power outage in the area. Around 1,900 Idaho Power customers were affected.

By noon, crewshad restored power to all but13 homes.

Read or Share this story: