COEUR D ALENE, Idaho -- Two people were flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after suffering critical injuries in an apartment complex fire Friday morning.

Coeur d Alene Police and Coeur d Alene Fire Department crews responded to the Crown Royal Apartments on N. Crown Ave. around 5:50 a.m. Kootenai Fire, Northern Lakes, and Mica Fire Department also responded. The apartment complex was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived, officials said.

Twelve people were evacuated from their apartments. Two dogs were also rescued.

Coeur d Alene Fire reported the twelve people were living in the complex of four apartments. Eight of those twelve people were transported to Kootenai Medical for treatment. Six of the eight people were children. All of the children were treated and released. Authorities said the two people airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle were a 28-year-old male and a 29-year-old female. The two people suffered burns and smoke inhalation.

A couple who was awoken in the middle of the night said they were shocked when police told them they needed to evacuate because the apartment building next door was on fire.

Reaction was Oh my god, are you kidding me? We looked out the window as we were getting clothes on and saw flames shooting out of the roof, said neighbor Misty Nielsen.

The Nielsen s said one of the people who was injured is a single father.

You could just see he was burnt. And he collapsed crying in agony onto the gurney. And they took him away, said Nielsen. He busted a window out there of the second floor and that s all we know.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist with the victims displaced from their homes.

The apartment complex sustained extensive damage.

Police and Fire investigators said the fire was accidental. According to authorities, a log rolled out of the fireplace and ignited the carpet and furniture.

Read or Share this story: