CALDWELL -- Six area schools are back to normal after a search for a dangerous fugitive forced them to go into a 'soft' lockdown Friday morning.

Law enforcement officials eventually found and arrested 53-year-old Warren Dale Watson of Colorado.

The search for Watson began Friday morning and ended just after 1 p.m. when the 53-year-old was arrested without incident for a parole violation. Authorities say Watson is wanted in connection with the death of an attorney in Lakewood, Colo.

Watson isn't facing any charges yet in the death of Claudia Miller, whose body was found Tuesday by a cleaning crew at her office building.

Lakewood detectives plan to interview Watson in Idaho this weekend.

Watson was named as a person of interest in Miller's death after police said surveillance video captured images of a man using Miller's credit card at two stores.

Davis says there are no obvious connections between Watson and Miller.


Six area schools went into 'soft' lockdown during the manhunt.

Van Buren Elementary, Desert Springs Elementary, Head Start, Sage Valley Middle School, Thomas Jefferson Charter School, and Vision Charter School restricted student activity as law enforcement conducted the manhunt. Soft lockdown means students were able to go about their daily activities, but were restricted from walking around on campus.

Captain Frank Wyant with the Caldwell Police Department said protecting students at nearby schools was a priority for his department.

We put officers at every school for security purposes, Wyant said.


Caldwell police report serving an arrest warrant on Watson, whom they tracked to a home on the 1900 block of Dorchester Avenue.

Police say when they attempted to arrest the man, he ran from the back of the home, and officers lost sight of him. A witness reported seeing Watson jump a fence and run away. That's when officers set up a perimeter in the area, and eventually found Watson hiding in a location outside.

Captain Wyant said members of the Treasure Valley Metro Violent Crimes Task Force, including Caldwell police, Idaho State Police, Canyon County Sheriff's Office, and the FBI were part of the search.

The metro task force had leads that he was in the area, that he had flown in from Colorado, Wyant said.

Read or Share this story: