CALDWELL -- A two-alarm fire at a Caldwell business Wednesday night caused more than $40,000 in damages, according to Fire Marshall Andy Cater.

Firefighters from Caldwell and Middleton responded to the fire at Best Bath Systems, in the 700 block of Garber Street in Caldwell just after 9 p.m. It was under control about an hour later.

Cater says crews cleared the scene around midnight. Investigators went back this morning to search for clues as to how the fire started.

The company creates molds for showers and baths and sprays fiberglass and chemicals over molds to create partitions. And they have a hydraulic lift in middle of floor to spray the chemicals.

Cater says the motor on the lift leaked, and the heat of motor combined with and heat of electricity on wires ignited the hydraulic oil.

A sprinkler system kept the fire contained to one room.

The challenge for firefighters was to keep the smoke from spreading throughout the building. Most of their time was spent trying to clear the smoke out.

The company was back in business Thursday afternoon.

Read or Share this story: