BOISE -- The Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic returns to Ann Morrison Park on Wednesday, Aug. 29.
More than just a show, the five-day event includes more than 5,000 flight demonstrations, the Governor's Cup Competition, a tribute to fallen balloonists, and the highly-anticipated Nite Glow Spectacular on Saturday at dusk.
The Nite Glow Spectacular is a crowd favorite that features 12 balloonists that simultaneously blast their burners in a choreographed show set to music. For safety reasons, the balloons remain on the ground during this nightime show.
This year's notable balloons include the Coca-Cola Bottle Balloon (one of the world's largest), Shauna and Lesley's Excellent Adventure hand-painted balloon, and the POW/MIA Hot air balloon sponsored by Treasure Valley Collision Center.
You also can expect to see the colorful balloons each morning on KTVB, Idaho's News Channel 7. That's because Today's Morning News will feature KTVB meteorologist Larry Gebert reporting live from Ann Morrison Park.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- Event kick-off by Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce -- Wed. Aug. 29, 7 a.m.
- Small business and media day -- Thursday, Aug. 29, 7:10 a.m.
- VIP day, military fly-by, and tribute to fallen balloonists -- Friday, Aug. 30, 7 a.m.
- Governor's Cup Competition -- Sat. Sept. 1st, 7:10 a.m.
- Evening launch, live music, and Nite Glow Spectacular -- Sat. Sept. 1st, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Final launch, free pancake breakfast, and church in the park -- Sun. Sept. 2, 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.
For complete event details, visit the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic schedule online.
For detailed event parking information, click here.
- Hot air balloon chase crews will need to be able to move freely through the park. Pay attention to where you park your vehicle within the park, making certain not to block exits or access points. This is critical to the safe operation of the balloons. Many vehicles have been towed in past years.
- Handicap parking will be available on a limited, first-come, first-served basis.
- Please don t presume to enter a balloon for a picture without first obtaining permission from the pilot or crew chief.
- Pets are discouraged because the high-frequency sound of balloon burners can make them scared/agitated.
- Smoking is not allowed due to the presence of large amounts of propane gas.