BOISE -- A 23-year-old Boise man is dead after a shooting that happened Monday night at a home on North Curtis Road. Police arrested 22-year-old Gregory Shain from Meridian last night at the scene of the crime. He s been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Shain is accused of taking the life of Gary Arlen Jr. Police are investigating the circumstances surrounded his death.

Barb Arlen and her daughter Alicia now cling to a tape recording of their son and brother singing and playing the guitar. It's just one way they are coping with his sudden and unexpected death.

I still don't believe it's real, Alicia Arlen said. I don't believe I'm never going to see him again.

Arlen says her brother Gary had been really happy the last few days.

He was very excited, he got his promotion at work, he was going to work in the pharmacy at St. Luke's, she added.

But that day never came. Gary s life ended early. Police say Gregory Shain is responsible for Gary's death. Barb Arlen says the incident happened when Shain came over Monday night to her son's basement apartment to return a gun cleaning kit.

The gut instinct last night when I saw him, I was sick, Arlen said. I was ill. I got sick and I told [Gary], what is he doing here?

Arlen says Shain and her son went to high school together. She says he would come over every now and again; adding she always had a bad feeling about her son's acquaintance.

Arlen says she didn't go to sleep Monday night because she was waiting for Shain to leave the house. Arlen then tried calling her son on his cell phone, but he didn't answer.

And then Greg came running upstairs just freaking out like 10 minutes later, 10 to 15 minutes later, Arlen said. I knew he hurt him.

Shain appeared in court Tuesday where he was arraigned on one charge of involuntary manslaughter.

Authorities are now investigating what they say could have been a game played with guns.

The precise circumstances under which this shooting occurred are also still under investigation, even though we do know that there was some sort of game that was going on with firearms, said Ada County prosecuting attorney Brian Naugle.

Arlen's family denies that Gary would play any games with weapons. Despite that claim, Naugle says what is clear is that Gary Arlen Jr. was shot in the head. Furthermore, Alicia Arlen says that her brother was shot in the mouth.

It was too soon, way too soon, Arlen told KTVB.

Gary Arlen Jr.'s sister and mother say they will now remember him through his music.

Really happy that at least we have that, and he's always going to be missed, Alicia Arlen said.

The family has now set-up the Gary Arlen Jr Memorial Fund through US Bank to help the family with funeral costs.

On Tuesday, an Ada County judge set Gregory Shain's bond at $500,000. If convicted of the charge of involuntary manslaughter, with a weapon enhancement, Shain faces up to 25 years in prison.

Read or Share this story: