LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CHEHALIS, Wash. -- Twin 80-year-old brothers were apparently overcome by carbon monoxide while working on an antique car in a closed garage in Chehalis and died.

The men were identified as Bill and Walt Schofield.

The Lewis County sheriff's office says the wife of one of the men found them Sunday evening when she returned home from a neighbor's house.

The other brother was visiting from Rainier, Wash.

The sheriff's office says the men were working on the car's exhaust.

When fire department emergency responders arrived, their carbon monoxide detectors showed a high level of the deadly fumes.

One brother was declared dead at a Centralia hospital and the other at a Seattle hospital.

This is a very sad and tragic incident, said Sheriff Steve Mansfield. These brothers were simply working on a car together and ended up dying from a silent killer.

Mansfield advised people to educate themselves about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide has no odor, color or taste. It diminishes your ability to absorb oxygen. Symptoms are often mistaken for something else. When carbon monoxide problems develop slowly, they can be mistaken for the flu.

If there's a leak, there's reason to worry. Sources could include unvented gas space heaters, leaking furnaces or automobile exhaust in garages.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests a carbon monoxide alarm near every area of your home that is used for sleeping

CDC information on carbon monoxide poisoning

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/regional/2014/07/02/12094087/