LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -- Two young Coeur d'Alene children are hospitalized in Seattle after suffering burns when a gas can exploded near a backyard fire pit.

Police say a 35-year-old man poured gasoline from a five-gallon can onto the fire at about 5 p.m. Saturday when the can caught fire. He threw the can behind him, where it exploded and burned an 8-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl.

The Spokesman-Review reports the boy was hospitalized in intensive care with first-and second-degree burns on 21 percent of his body, mostly his legs and arms. The girl suffered burns in 9 percent of her body.

Sgt. Christie Wood says police have forwarded the results of their investigation to Kootenai County prosecutors to determine if charges should be filed.

Read or Share this story: http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2014/07/15/12695759/