HILLSBORO, Ore. -- Three men were taken to area hospitals after they ingested chemicals released on the Intel campus Saturday, and a fourth man was treated for skin exposure.
An Intel hazardous materials team responded just before 11 a.m. to a report that the four employees had been exposed to the chemicals, made up mostly of sodium nitrate, a Hillsboro Fire Department official told KGW.
Primary and secondary safety procedures failed during a chilling process, he said.
The men were decontaminated on site in the Ronler Acres area of the campus. Soon afterward they started to experience symptoms and fire crews were called in.
Two of the men who had ingested the chemicals were taken by ambulance to Providence St. Vincent Hospital, and the third was taken to Tuality Hospital. All three men were expected to be released Saturday evening.
The public was not in danger; the chemicals were contained on site.