LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CALDWELL-- Authorities say a mechanical problem could be the cause of a fast-moving fire that ravaged a home on the 11000 block of Virginia Parkway Tuesday night.

Caldwell firefighters say flames destroyed the home's attic and caused the second story ceiling to collapse. Intense heat also damaged a nearby home, melting the vinyl siding and breaking a window.

A total of eight people were displaced from the two homes. Nobody was injured.

Battalion Fire Chief Brad Carico says a vigilant neighbor noticed the fire, called 911, then woke up the people inside the home and helped them escape.

The fire was reported just after 11 p.m. Firefighters from Caldwell, Star, Middleton and Nampa responded. Crews fought the flames as they spread from the outside wall of the first home into the attic and destroying the second-floor ceiling. Carrico says firefighters worked to extinguish the fire before it could spread to the home nexxt door.

We had a lot of fire when we got there, Carico told KTVB, commenting that the lightweight building materials, including adhesives, contributed to the severity of the flames.

Carico said the cause of the fire is unclassified; however, investigators suspect a mechanical problem could be to blame.

Three adults were displaced from the home that first caught fire. Two adults and three children were displaced from the next-door home.

Firefighters say working smoke alarms inside the home did not activate because there was no smoke or fire inside.

The Red Cross of Greater Idaho is working with the Caldwell Fire Department to determine the needs of the families affected by the fire.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2014/07/03/12167581/