A 40-foot boat that went up in flames at a Lake Union marina Saturday night was caused by hot cooking oil that spilled, Seattle Fire Department investigators said.
The boat owner told firefighters he was cooking with hot oil when the wake from a speeding boat caused the oil to spill and ignite.
Medics checked the woman at the scene; she was not injured.
Seattle Police Harbor Patrol, Seattle Fireboat Engine One and firefighters responded to the 911 call just after 8:30 p.m. in the 2400 block of North Northlake Way. They managed to move the boat from the marina into the lake to prevent the fire from spreading to nearby boats.
Rick Miner, who owns a boat house nearby, captured video of the fire (see above) as police boats raced to fight the flames.
I am a realtor and specialize in waterfront and floating home sales and never seen a boat fire of this magnitude ever before, said Miner.
Damage to the boat is estimated at $250,000.
Meanwhile, the Red Cross is assisting the boat owner who had been living on board the boat.