ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Boise State women’s tennis team opened its first campagin in the Mountain West Conference with a dominating 6-1 win on the road against the University of New Mexico.
The Broncos (7-7, 1-0) opened the match by sweeping the three doubles matches then followed with victories in five of the six singles matches to claim their first ever win as a member of the conference.
The Pietzuch sister-duo of Marlena and Manuela opened the day by claiming a quick 8-1 victory at No. 1 doubles to set the tone for the contest in Boise State’s favor. The day continued to look good as the Broncos completed the sweep in doubles with a pair of 8-6 wins in the two remaining doubles matches. Sonia Klamczynska and Kaitlyn Brown claimed the doubles point for Boise State with a victory at No. 3 doubles, followed shortly after by Sandy Vo and Morgan Basil’s win at the No. 2 position.
Basil gave Boise State a two point team advantage when she closed out the No. 5 singles match with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Katie Wookey. Klamczynska moved the Broncos to within one point of clinching the match when she put away New Mexico’s Michaela Bezdickova 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1 singles.
Boise State rallied for the win by sweeping the three remaining singles matches to claim the 6-1 conference victory. Marlena Pietzuch gave the Broncos the match victory at No. 2 singles when she downed the Lobos’ Susanna Kuuttila 6-2, 6-4 making the team score 4-1 Boise State. She became the first Bronco to reach the 20 win mark this season as she improved to 20-9 on the year.
Manuela Pietzuch won at the fourth singles position by a 7-5, 6-2 win over Maria Sablina, followed by Sandy Vo’s straight set 7-5, 6-3 win over Kristin Eggleston at No. 3 singles.
Boise State continues Mountain West action Sunday morning in Albuquerque when they face TCU at 9:00 a.m. at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex.
Boise State 6, New Mexico 1
1. Pietzuch/Pietzuch (BSU) def. Sablina/Nikolina Grbac (UNM), 8-1
2. Basil/Vo (BSU) def. Bezdickova/Eggleston (UNM), 8-6
3. Klamczynska/Brown (BSU) def. Oldani/Alyssa Caffey (UNM), 8-6
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. Sonia Klamczynska (BSU) def. Michaela Bezdickova (UNM), 6-3, 6-2
2. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) def. Susanna Kuuttila (UNM), 6-2, 6-4
3. Sandy Vo (BSU) def. Kristin Eggleston (UNM), 7-5, 6-3
4. Manuela Pietzuch (BSU) def. Maria Sablina (UNM), 7-5, 6-2
5. Morgan Basil (BSU) def. Katie Wookey (UNM), 6-1, 6-4
6. Michaela Oldani (UNM) def. Kaitlyn Brown (BSU), 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: Singles (5,1,6,2,4,3)