BOISE - The Boise State men’s tennis team was crowned champion of the 2012 Spring Break Classic with a 6-1 victory against the University of Alabama-Birmingham on Saturday at the Appleton Tennis Complex.
The wins marks the Broncos (16-5) eighth straight overall, and extends their home winning streak to 19 matches.
Boise State got off to a fast start in doubles play, sweeping all three matches. Nathan Sereke returned to the courts after recovering from an illness which sidelined him during the first day of the tournament and partnered with James Meredith at the No. 1 singles. The two set the tone with an 8-3 win and the teams of Hume/Sears and Bettles/Pogostkin followed with 8-6 and 8-5 wins, respectively.
The Broncos would slam the door shut in singles action, winning the first four matches and five of six overall. James Meredith and Damian Hume each closed things out quickly with victories at the top two spots. Meredith won his fourth-consecutive match at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 6-3. Hume defeated the Blazers’ David Zimmerman 6-2, 6-2 and has still not lost this spring (11-0).
Filipp Pogostkin sealed the team’s overall win on court five, defeating Lucas Dirube handily by a score of 6-2, 6-2.
Scott Sears and Andy Bettles tacked on a pair of wins for good measure.
Boise State will not have much time to celebrate the victory, as they head to Los Angeles to face the No. 1 team in the land, USC, on Monday at 4:00 p.m.
Championship Match –Boise State 6, UAB 1
1. Meredith/Sereke (BSU) def. Puetz/Zimmerman (UAB), 8-3
2. Hume/Sears (BSU) def. Manlow/Moser (UAB), 8-6
3. Bettles/Pogostkin (BSU) def. Dirube/Helliar (UAB), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. James Meredith (BSU) def. Danny Manlow (UAB), 6-3, 6-3
2. Damian Hume (BSU) def. David Zimmerman (UAB), 6-2, 6-2
3. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Chris Helliar (UAB), 6-4, 6-3
4. Daniel Moser (UAB) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU), 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Lucas Dirube (UAB), 6-2, 6-2
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Tom Puetz (UAB), 6-1, 5-7, 10-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 5, 6, 4, 3