(For the Love of Cooking.net)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb of lean ground beef (94/6)
- 1 small sweet yellow onion
- diced 3-4 baby bell peppers
- diced 8 oz cremini mushrooms
- sliced 4 cloves of garlic
- chopped Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- to taste 3 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 12 oz elbow macaroni, cooked per instructions
- fresh basil
- chiffonade Asiago, grated
1. Heat the olive oil in a small Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and mushrooms then cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef, bell pepper, chopped garlic then season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper; cook for 4-5 minutes making sure to crumble the ground beef as it cooks. Drain any excess grease from the pan then add the marinara sauce, stir until mixed thoroughly. Simmer the sauce for 1-2 hours so flavors combine.
4. Cook the elbow macaroni per instructions (make sure to season the water with salt) then drain completely.
5. Combine the macaroni with the sauce, add the fresh basil and mix well.
6. Simmer for 15 minutes so the sauce has time to flavor the noodles.
7. Top with Asiago cheese if desired and serve.