For each serving
- 1 - 3” round X ½” thick toast
- 5-6 medium to large mushroom caps
- 2-3 tablespoons Herb Butter (see recipe below)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 ounce sherry
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Cover the bottom of an individual baking-dish with the circular pieces of toasted bread. Toss mushrooms in herb butter, coating well. Arrange mushroom caps on toast, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix together cream and sherry and pour over mushrooms Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and cover with foil or lid. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for twenty minutes.
- Remove from oven. Serve immediately. (Leave cover on until ready to eat.)
*Individual dishes with bell-shaped glass covers may be bought at kitchen supply stores but are not needed to successfully execute this recipe. In the past, these dishes were sent to the table with covers (bells) left on, so that the aroma and flavor of the mushrooms filled the air when lifted.
- 1 stick butter, softened, or melted
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced onions or shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Blend all ingredients together.