Posted on February 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM
Monday, Nov 22 at 7:29 PM
Deep Fried Avocadoes with Spicy Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons Franks/Durkees hot sauce
- 3 firm-ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and each sliced into 8 even pieces
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
for Spicy Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice and rind from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, minced (pickled or fresh)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Orange wedges & cilantro leaves for garnish
In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce and avocado slices.
Let them soak for at least 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, orange rind & juice cilantro, red onion, Jalapeno pepper, salt & pepper.
Stir to combine. Chill until ready to use.
In a medium Dutch oven or deep-fryer, fill oil to a depth of 2 to 3 inches (no more than halfway up the sides of the pan.)
Heat oil to 375 degrees F over medium-high heat.
Combine cornmeal, flour, Cajun seasoning, & salt in a shallow dish.
Dredge soaked avocado slices in the cornmeal mixture, shaking to remove excess cornmeal.
Place avocado slices in the hot oil and fry until golden, about 1 minute each side.
Using a slotted spoon, remove slices and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Season with additional Cajun seasoning, if desired.
Serve immediately with spicy sauce and garnish with orange wedges and cilantro.