Proper Irish Toastie
A proper Irish Toastie uses authentic Irish butter and cheese.
- 2 slices of cinnamon swirl bread
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- 2 ounces of Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 thin slices of red onion (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of Kerrygold Irish butter, at room temperature
Brush one side of 1 slice of bread with the honey. Sprinkle the rosemary and pepper over
the honey. Sprinkle the nuts over, then add half the cheese, the onion and the remaining
cheese. Spread one side of the second slice of bread with the mustard and place over
cheese, mustard-side down.
Brush the top of the sandwich with 1 teaspoon of the butter. Place buttered side down in
a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Spread top with remaining teaspoon
butter. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the underside is golden brown. With a wide spatula,
turn the sandwich over. Place a small heatproof plate on the top and cook untile the
underside is golden brown and the cheese has melted, 2 to 3 minutes more. Alternatively,
use the spatula to flatten the sandwich. Serve immediately. Makes 1 sandwich.