Mother saves kids from Spokane Valley house fire

Mother saves kids from Spokane Valley house fire

Mother saves kids from Spokane Valley house fire

Print
Email
|

by KREM.com

KTVB.COM

Posted on February 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash.—A local mother saved her kids during a deadly house fire near Van Marter and 48th on Tuesday night.

Firefighters said the mother, who is married to a firefighter, was taken to the hospital for burns and smoke inhalation after saving her children. The family dog died in the fire.

“Without the heroic efforts of Firefighter Pete Flatt’s wife (Rachelle) this fire could have been much more tragic,” said Assistant Chief Greg Godfrey.

Rochelle Flatt said she put the children down to bed for the night when she noticed flames on the back patio. She called 911 and as she turned to get her kids, she heard a loud noise. The relief valve on the BBQ propane tank exploded and shattered the patio doors, according to officials.

The fire and heavy smoke came straight into the house as Flatt removed their oldest child to the front yard and then re-entered the house to rescue the other child and baby.

The smoke and heat were intense as Flatt’s wife was exiting the house with the baby. She received minor burns to her ears, singed hair and severe smoke inhalation.

Firefighters from Spokane County Fire District 8 and Spokane Valley Fire Department arrived and put out the fire. Crews arrived to find heavy fire coming from the back of the house and the attic area. Firefighters entered the house and were able to stop the fire before it spread beyond the first floor.

Flatt’s husband was working on the South Hill at the time of the call. Rachelle Flatt was released from the hospital Wednesday according to fire officials.

Fire investigators said there was $100,000 done to the structure of the house and about $50,000 in contents.

Print
Email
|