11-year-old carjack suspect's parents lose custody of kids

11-year-old carjack suspect's parents lose custody of kids

11-year-old carjack suspect's parents lose custody of kids

Print
Email
|

by KGW.com Staff

KTVB.COM

Posted on January 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Updated Thursday, Jan 24 at 4:00 PM

PORTLAND -- The parents of an 11-year-old boy who attempted to carjack a woman at gunpoint will now lose custody of all three of their children.

The boy was accused, along with a 7-year-old friend, of displaying a loaded gun and trying to carjack and rob a woman in Southeast Portland on December 8. But they were too young to go to jail, police said.

The 11-year-old boy's father, Joseph Charlton, was arrested for having an unsecured firearm at their home. He was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, endangering the welfare of a minor and endangering a child by allowing access to a firearm.

The Oregon Department of Human Services took the 11-year-old boy into protective custody, along with his 4-year-old sister and 9-year-old brother.

Charlton and his wife Kathryn both admitted in court to allowing the boy access to the gun, but they pleaded for the return of their children.

The state said the Charltons will lose custody. The children had also previously been removed from the home in 2011, due to unsanitary conditions and a lack of supervision.

Print
Email
|